Sunday, November 30, 2008

States

Yesterday was PA States. Seeing as it was just my second 'cross race of the season I figured I would be fairly fresh. Another good day to bust out of my skinsuit. I started warming up on the course and noticed that there was only one barrier section and no run-ups. It was pretty twisty though so I knew that blazing speed was not necessary.

Now let's go back to last week. In that course there were two sets of barriers, two run-ups, and a sand pit (this year it was rideable but last year the sand killed your brakes if you rode it). During the four dismounts per lap (I think I did 7 laps) I must have aggravated my "special" muscle. It was really a discomfort thing not a big deal.

Fast forward to Wednesday. I was walking my dog Skellington. Sometimes he likes to run so I run with him. I felt a little tweak in the special spot. I hoped it would be better by Saturday.

Now back to Saturday. During my warm-ups I like to hit the barriers with some speed to get a feel for what they will be like in the race. I did just that. I felt a "pop" in said "special" area. I raced anyway. Hey, I'm not some pansy football player or something.

From the start I was chasing. I missed my pedal and was stuck in the back. These things happen. Now not to give away my training secrets (like anyone reads this anyway) but I've been working on 8 minute and 20 minute TT drills so I felt confident that I could chase down most of the riders in front of me. Some of the others I knew would have too big of a lead by the time I got up to them. I picked my way though traffic. Passing little groups of riders here and there. Every time I hit the barriers though my special area hated me. With about three to go I heard the announcer talking about Vegan Rob being in 5th. I could see him and knew how many people were in between. I was sitting in 11th. I put in another big effort and got within 10 yards of Rob's group of four riders. Just as I was about to make contact the whole group took off. That move demoralized me. I had just put in a huge effort just to get close and had nothing left to respond with. One rider that I had passed earlier managed to get around me. I was just hanging on. When I crossed the finish line I felt pleased but also disappointed. I know that I raced well but if I had a better start I could've been in the top 5. Overall 10th. I don't think anyone could beat Zach (C3). He doubled up with the Collegiate and B's State Championship.


Big ups to my man Bad Andy (C3) too. He took the Elite field for (at least) his second PA State Elite title.










2 comments:

Skinny Mini said...

Hey Dan -- Did you hear about the F&M Cycling Club? Looks like a great group of guys, and perhaps an opportunity for new riders. Read this: http://thediplomat.fandm.edu/article/154

Samantha said...

Here is more information on the F&M cycling team:

fmcycling.blogspot.com

http://library.fandm.edu/cycling/