Sunday, November 23, 2008

Please Dewald Don't Hurt'em

I made a little trek across the city to Wonderland 'Cross yesterday. It was a beautiful day for a 'cross race. The wind was gusty, temps hovered around freezing, and there was even a little snow falling. Perfect weather to bust out (of) the skinsuit.

Let me just say that even though I haven't been racing, I have been training. Also, let it be known that I had no delusions of being anywhere near the front at the end of the race. Hey, I was racing A's. My goal was to not get lapped.

At the start line there were only 8 of us but they included guys like Ryan Dewald, Kyle Wamsley, and Jed Schober. I knew it would be a long day. As with any race that has a low attendance the start was uneventful. Actually, the gun when off and we all sat there for about a second or two looking at each other. When we finally took off I took up last place behind Kyle. I figured I'd be there anyway so why ruin someones race. To my surprise Kyle was moving slow so I passed him and a guy from Engin on the barriers. I flew over those barriers faster than I ever had before. I felt like Sven Nys, Neils Albert, or Lars Boom (soon to be Jeff Bahnson, no pressure Jeff). Pick your favorite. I was in the pace line with the front of the race in 5th! For about 2 seconds. I let a gap form while we were riding into a headwind and I just couldn't put the power down to keep up. I redlined. Kyle and the guy from Engin showed no mercy when they passed me. I was alone. I decided the best thing to do was to not get lapped, which I managed to do very well until two laps to go when Ryan came up on me. He'd be the only guy to get around me though. I'd have to say for my first A race I was pretty pleased with my performance. I had a good race and I had a lot of fun trying to hang with those guys. The best part was that I wasn't even last. Seventh out of eight. I just wish I had raced the B's race too. I love the Wonderland course.

No comments: