Monday, February 4, 2008

Excuse me...


Last Thursday I was out for a nice 60 mile ride. Well, almost 60 miles. My ride was cut short due to a conflict with a bus. See, I being a part of traffic didn't think that the bus was going to pull out from the stop while traffic (that would be me) was passing by. I guess I was wrong. Now the darnedest thing though, I could see the entire length of the bus (being that I was about halfway out in the lane). It still pulled out and I just had no where else to go but into it or the traffic in the left lane. I didn't want to take the chance of being actually ran over by other traffic so I ate the back of that bus...
Cruising down King St in Lancaster is a lot safer than riding Manor St so I always take the long way home instead of Manor via King. I'm moving along, riding about 25mph (the posted speed limit), traffic is passing on the left. No big deal. I see a bus. I move out into the lane so said bus sees me. Now like I stated before, I could see the entire length of the bus, there is no reason that if the driver looked in the mirror (which I could clearly see) that they couldn't see me. Bus pulls out. I grab the brakes in an effort not to eat bus. My rear tire locks up, goes sideways, blows and BANG! Me eating bus. Bus leaves. No harm, no foul, I guess. Luck would be on my side though.
A lady cruising down the street caught up with the bus and got the plate number. A witness gives me their contact info. A cop two blocks away takes the info. Gives me a ride home. This is were we stand now...
I went to the ER for what turned out to be a badly bruised knee. The bike, well, about $1400 worth of damage.
My bruises are almost healed and the bike is rebuilt with old parts...
Will they pay up? Will I go to court? Will there be criminal charges filed? We shall find out.
To be continued...

No comments: