Monday, January 28, 2008

But what will I wear?

Today was warmish, mid 40's, which is pretty nice for January. I decided to take a short 50 mile spin in my new kit (which by the way, has seen use 3 of the 4 days I've had it). Knowing I'd be out for some time, I took it easy. 'Cross season killed me this year and has really taken a toll on my off season legs. Usually at this time of year I'm ready to really train. This year, I'm still doing LSD (that's long slow distance). Whether or not this turns out to be a good or bad thing, only time will tell.
Doing a LSD ride is nice for focusing on climbing so that is what I did. Easy on the flats, hit the hills. I did climbs on this ride that I usually split into two different days. It hurt but now that I've had a chance to recover, my legs really are in good shape. This is after a Friday that I just blasted as hard as I could (for fun). Saturday was a 2 plus hour mountain ride that covered about 24 miles at Fair Hill with Shawn, Joel, and Tom. We stopped a few times to chat with some Bike Line rides we passed along the way. Basically, a little over a 5 minute mile pace. That's pretty fast for a fun group ride. Then there was today. 50 miles in under 3 hours. I weaved back and forth over the same hill four times. Each time riding a different road up and down. There aren't any mountains in Lancaster but there are big hills. Some have an average grades of 10% and are about a mile long. Some are longer with a lower percentage of grade. The hills I was riding today were definitely the first kind. This was suppose to be an easy day. Oh well there is always tomorrow.

1 comment:

Chad, Mt. Goat said...

If you want some good climbing hill come and stay at my house for a weekend. I can give you some good climbs in the central pa area.