Monday, December 10, 2007

The Kizzer




This story really begins a few weeks after Katrina. Staci and I volunteered to go to the St. Barnard Parish district in New Oreleans to help the ASPCA. This was, I think, 2-3 weeks after Katrina. The flood waters had dropped enough to start search and rescue missions. We mainly stayed at camp, taking care of the animals/people. Staci worked closely with the Vets in charge of the dog side. There they made sure all dogs were walked three times a day and generally played with throughout. Many animals came into the campsite skin and bones. Their habitat, (homes) were destroyed. It was total destruction everywhere. Nothing was spared. My job, with 3 others, was to make the humans feel human. We did various tasks from setting up work stations with lights (run on a generator), to shelving. We even found running water, which was contaminated but, still running water. We made a shower by using garden hose and a kiddie pool. It even had walls for privacy.


After our tour with the ASPCA, we started driving home. 1100 miles if I remember correctly. It was pouring rain when we decided to stop at a Motel 6 in Virgina. Staci was driving (we switched every 2-3 hours). She pulled into the spot, we opened our doors and, in hops the little black and brown guy in the pictures above. Seeing as we were at a Motel 6 (pet friendly) we decided to at least give him a warm/dry place for the night. We asked the clerk if he was somebodys and she said he showed up about 4-6 weeks earlier. As the night went on though we decided that we would take him home and put him on PetFinder.com. So Staci went to a local store and bought some real cat food (we were giving him whatever we had available), litter box, and litter. He was so skinny so we didn't want to overfeed him but he did eat well that night. We all fell fast asleep. Kismet (we later named him) slept on our heads. We knew we did the right thing.


In the morning we gathered up everything and headed for PA. It was a 7 hour car ride back to Lancaster. Kismet slept under the seat the whole way. I'm sure he was scared but I think he knew he was safe, finally. We took him to the vet. They determined he was about 9-10 years old and in good health. We put him on PetFinder.com like we knew we should but no one answered. That is how we ended up with him.


He lived with us for a little over two years but in that time he was friends with everyone. All the others in the house and anyone who walked through the door. He most certainly was a lover. He was the one that made everyone (other cats) stop hating Skellington. He loved Skellington as much as Mayari, Serendipity, and Malificent. He was the one that tought the girls (other cats) how to clean dishes and Skellington to dig in garbage. He also tought Skellington how to make a nest to sleep in.


After Thanksgiving, Kizzy was wheezing so we took him to the vet. They took chest x-rays and basically told us to make him comfortable. There was nothing they could do for him. He knew we did everythng we could and last night we had to make the hardest decision of our lives. We had to put Kizzy down. The cancer in his lungs made it almost impossible for him to breath. His kidneys were twice the size they should be. Pushing his other organs out of place. He was a trooper. It wasn't until last night that he showed any signs of pain. We didn't want him to suffer. As hard as that decision was, I'd hate myself if he were still here in pain.


We will miss you Kismet. We love you.

1 comment:

Chad, Mt. Goat said...

I am sorry to hear that. You did the right thing, here is some thing for you 2 to read.

I STOOD BY YOUR BED LAST NIGHT

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying, you found it hard to sleep.

I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
"It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea.
You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.

I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels, I wished I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.

I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.

It's possible for me to be so near you everyday.
To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew,
in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand there side by side.

I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me.

- Author unknown


If it should be
If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me 'til the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

- Author unknown