Friday, June 12, 2009

Race Ave Update. Next the Cheyney Road Race

Since I bailed on the Tour De Tykes I decided to double up the day before at the Race Ave. Crit. It's a simple 4 corner 1 km loop with a false flat for the final 250 meters (roughly).

The 4/5 race started with a bang and by that I mean a crash on the start line. This is why I try to stay away from 4/5 races. Two laps into the 20 lap race there were two more crashes. I decided to leave the "safety" of the peleton and go on my own. It was really a false attack. I just wanted to pick up the pace and drop the squirrels. It worked for the most part (only one more crash the rest of the race). With 12 to go I was back in the pack and another rider took off. We let him go. The next lap another rider shot out of the group. We let him go too figuring the group would catch them. When the bell lap came it was pretty obvious we were not going to catch the lead riders. On the back stretch of the final lap a Spinners rider took off. Being only 500-600 meters from the finish I hopped on his wheel. Around turn 3 he peeled off leaving me in front. Not a great place to be about 400 meters from the finish. I told myself that if I gained a gap going into turn 4, I was going for it on the previously mentioned false flat. I stayed seated and put a few good pedal strokes down. I was trying to hide my attack as best I could. I felt a gap open up behind me and I went for it. Out of turn 4 I stood up and got a 10 meter or so lead. About 20 meters from the finish my legs were burning but I was so close I pushed through it. I took 3rd! Beating the peleton to the line. Average speed was 25mph.

Chris, Shawn, and I then did the 30 lap 3/4 race. I knew I was going to be hurting but tried to help out Chris as much as I could. It wasn't much as I just barely held onto the peleton. I finished in 31st. Shawn 24th. Chris was just out of the points in 12th (his worst finish this year). Average speed for this one was about 27.5mph.

Sunday Shawn and I will be at the Cheyney road race. We are taking it a little easier this weekend and only doing the 4 instead of the 3/4. It's roughly 15 miles shorter.

No comments: