Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Finally...


With me coming of an injury from last wed. when i crashed during a training ride, i was not looking to do too well because i was still very sore. Dan and i decided to just wing it and chances are have to lead him out for the finish. The course for Brownstown was a 5. something loop with a little hill at the the finish. The race started at a nice speed and with in the first 2 laps there was a break away 7. With a kelly-benefit rider in the group the whole team moved to the front to slow down the peloton. Dan and i realized this and knew that if one of us did not get in the breakaway then we would have no chance of a top 10 finish. Since the yellow line rule is in affect except for the last 1km we decided to attack there so we could use the whole road. I went first with Dan right on my wheel, after going across the start/finish line i knew that i would catch them. After Dan realized that i was in the break he slowed down and drop back into the peloton knowing his job was done for the day.

With the break away 8 riders strong we knew we had a good chance of staying away since the course is very windy and it will slow the peloton down. We all made even pulls for the last 5 laps of the race. On lap 5 it started raining, an advantage for us because this would slow the peloton down even more. With only one lap to go i went across the start/finish line and realized that i was cramping up in my thighs, even for a climber like myself this will cause a problem on the climb at the finish. I tried to conserve energy but it was no use, at the finish i just sat up, knowing i had nothing left and knowing that i still got 8th place. After the race was over i realized that Dan flatted with only 2 laps to go, and the peloton came in around 1 min. behind us. I will survive to race another day, and so will Dan.
Chad.

The only thing that I think was wrong was that I led you to the break my friend. Otherwise I would have made it too.

Check out Marysville. It's a festival so even if the racing is boring there will still be some food, games, and/or bands. http://www.masuperseries.com/ for me details.

3 comments:

Chad, Mt. Goat said...

HAHAHA yes Danny Boy you are right on that one, Dan did a great Job for me, THANKS!

Anonymous said...

i won the race and was wonering if there were pics of the finish of the cat 4 race

thanks
please email any to eric@chesslercompany.com

Anonymous said...

Sorry my parents did not get any pics., those are the only ones, they tell me its to hard to take photos with us going by at 25mph! haha.