Sunday, July 13, 2008

5 Races in 9 Days

Saturday I did the Peiffer Hill Road Race. It's a pretty cool course. It goes down, down, down and then the final 3k or so is mostly up (with some rollers) to the finish. Of all the road races left I felt that this would be my best chance at a win/top 5.

The pace was gruellingly slow even though Kelly Benefit Strategies had 10 riders in the field. They never attempted to control the race at all. It was a bit weird. I was expecting a move like at Brownstown. On the third of six laps I saw an opening at the base of the climb. I figured with the pace as slow as it was I might get lucky. I shot through the hole and made my escape. After my attack I looked back, I was getting away but no one came with me. Now if I was a pro, didn't have a mountain race the next day, and was just plain crazy I would've attempted to hold them off for the final 30k. This would've been next to impossible but worth a try with the way they were(n't) working together. Me being me however, knew my chances were slim and that I would really suffer the next day at Fair Hill eased off the throttle. I did however make sure I crossed the line ahead of the peloton. I figured I at least earned that. Lap 4 I sat back and rested. I was still thinking Kelly were going to make their move on lap 5. I wanted to be ready. Lap 5 came and went with nothing at all. Lap 6 was the final lap, surely they would move here. Again, nothing. I positioned myself for the final climb. I was three back, a great spot to launch a final attack. I was going to go at the same spot too but when the time came I somehow was completely boxed in. I weaved in desperation to get through as the attacks started. By the time I got past all the other riders I could tell it was pretty much over for me. One rider was away, and the peloton was in full throttle. Not being a sprinter by any stretch of the imagination, I got out of the way and let them do their thing. My final result my not be that great but it was a good race. I felt good and I had a chance all the way to the end. Sometimes things just don't work out though.

Today was Fair Hill. A 27 mile point to point style mountain bike race. These trails are maintained by the Delaware Trailspinners. They do a great job.

The start is a Jeep trail (two dirt tire lines with grass everywhere else). It is fast and furious. Everyone fighting for position before the singletrack. I got off to a bad start because the guy next to me missed his pedal and cut me off in the process. I know he didn't try it but it still stinks with a start that is that fast. I was in the back so I pedaled as fast as I could to make up as much ground as possible. I did ok too. I was probably in about 15th or so. I was riding with Tom and we could see Joel and Shawn up ahead. This was a pace line race for the first 12-15 miles. It was crazy fast. We started picking off riders that couldn't hold the pace. Tom then dropped back. Then me. I spent the next 5 miles or so with a rider on my wheel. I'd kill him on the climbs and he'd catch back up on the descents. It was a lot of fun. I then had a minor mishap with a course marking (aka I didn't read it) and took the Sport loop. Oops! Luckily the guy I'd been battling yelled so I didn't get too far but that was all she wrote for my legs. That zapped them. I did manage to catch up to the rider but like I said, I had nothing left. I went into conservation mode. I knew I was riding well and wanted to make sure I didn't crack and lose my position (whatever it was). Turns out I was 7th. Tom 10th. As for Joel and Shawn, we never did see them again. Seems they were sipping martinis for a few minutes before I crossed the line. Joel 5th. Shawn 3rd. The first Allied Milk male to podium in a solo event. Allied Milk riders will be moving up the leader board now.

Next week Tom and Shawn will be at Mt. Snow competing at Nationals. For me, a much needed break. 5 days of racing in 9 days (plus working full-time) equals not much down time.

No comments: