Saturday, October 11, 2008

Blue Marsh

One more last time for the mountain bike season. I decided to take the gears off and race at Blue Marsh Lake on Sunday. That's right, single speed baby! Back to my roots. Only this time instead of using my usual 34x17 gearing I'll be mashing a 42x20. There are two reasons for this. The first is the added speed (I will probably (definitely) have a hard time on the climbs). It's a taller gear so on the flats I should be able to motor about 1-2mph faster than someone with a more traditional 34x17, 32x16. I figure this more than makes up for the slow grind up hills I will have. The second reason is that it is a magical gear. No chain tensioner required. It just has a super clean look to it. Cross your fingers.

Now I've been testing this gear for oh, two days and so far so good. My overall times are close to riding with gears. That's a good thing.

10-12 Blue Marsh Lake 12:30 at the ski slope (eep, 42x20 up a ski slope am I crazy?)

No comments: