Monday, August 25, 2008

Race Ave.

Saturday Shawn and I took the long trek (maybe a mile) to the Race Ave Crit. It was a very standard 4 corner, .7 mile rectangle course. Basically, you went 2 blocks, turned right for one block, turned right...

Shawn did pretty well in his race. He finished in the top 10 (6th if I counted correctly). He looked strong too. Getting late in the season that can be hard to do.

As for me, it was a struggle to hang on to the group. My legs just never felt powerful. I knew a sprint finish was a bad thing for me so with about three to go I put in the most feeble attempt at a breakaway (like I said I had no power). I made it to the front only to be immediately caught and spit out the back. I tried to hang on but I couldn't close the 10 feet of gap in front of me. Eventually I was all alone so I nailed it for the last two laps just trying to not get lapped. I even caught up to some other riders that fell off the back after me. The end result was still not very good. I didn't stick around to see the official results but I'm guessing between 15th-20th. It was hard to tell because so many riders were dropped earlier and I don't know how many were in the peloton when I fell out.

Ben was there lending support. He also snapped a few shots. Here's the link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21124578@N08/.

Next weekend there are two races I'd like to do but there probably won't happen.

There's the Laurel Mountain Classic in Wellsboro and a new road race called the Cheyney Challenge in the West Chester area.

The grand finale for MASS is coming up. 9-21 at Bear Creek a double points XC race (they also hand out season awards which a few Allied Milk riders should get). This course is probably the hardest of any race in the series. One year it was a 4.5 miles lap that took about 40-50 minutes to go around (do that three times). Compare that with something like Sewell where we went 22 miles in about 1:30-1:45. I've heard they changed the course this year to take some of the abuse out of it but the singletrack there is about the hardest I've ever ridden. Should be fun...

1 comment:

Zach said...

Late season stuff is hard. But its not late season for me ;-) you know what I'm talkin about dan.
What are you doing bear creek weekend? It's the same days as the MAC openers. I'll be crossin it. They are too far apart for me to do both.