Friday, August 15, 2008

Chad's version of events

Last Saturday was Sunbury bike race. It is a 26 mile races with all hills. Dan drove up from Lancaster to support me. The weather for the day was not bad at all, not in the 90's how it is every other year, but in the 80's. Dan and I decided to try and have me win this race, since the race is all hills and i am peaking for this race. The gun went off and Dan took the lead with me on his wheel, his plain was for the first 1 mile climb to weed out most of the weaker riders, which he did a great job of doing. We were climbing the hill at about 15-17 mph with no letting up any time soon. towards the top of the hill a rider from VisitPA flew past us. I grabbed his wheel and followed him. Dan I found out later blew a tire with in the 5 mile marker. Through the whole race we kept the pace high, dwindling down the field till we had a break away. With only one last climb to do, (a one mile climb with a ave. 18% grade and top at 20%) this is where the race is decided, It was down to me and Ray Adams (VisitPA) We worked together on the decent down to the finish, with one rider catching up to us to help build our lead. With the finish line in sight Adams started sprinting and i was right on his wheel. I started coming around him but did not have enough time to pass him be for the line. With the results in I got 2nd with less then a second between me and Adams. I was disappointed that i did not get first until Dan informed me that he is semi-pro in mountain and Cat. 2 in road. After the race i packed up to head to Kinzua for another race, this one was a 30 mile with lots of hills and a 1 mile up hill finish. The race started as any one does, staying in the front in the best place to be, so you can cover attacks and stay out of trouble. With us starting the climb to the finish we had a group of 5-6 riders. We were keeping the pace high, until we had a quarter mile to go. At that time i attacked with with no one responding except for one rider. I tried to shake him off my wheel, but he was glued to it. I knew at that time that he was saving all his energy and it would be very hard to beat him at the line. As I predicted he got me at the line. Another 2nd place in the same weekend with over 55 miles of racing. Next race for me is this weekend in Lewisburg. It is a Triathlon that i am only doing the biking for a 3 person relay (I don't do running or swimming) This will be the first time i will be using my TT bike, and hoping to be the best time. Pictures coming soon.

No comments: