Thursday, May 22, 2008

A little from Chad on Mon-Tour



The day started at 6:00, with the temp. being in the 40's and wet roads. By start time at 8:30 the temp. rose to the high 50s. I felt good about this race considering there is 5940 of climbing in it. I was not planning on wining it because I am not in my peak yet, but merely to use it as a gaging ride for my future peak races. The race every year changes in miles slightly because of roads changing, dirt, road work ext. This year was no different with true miles being at 77. The race started slower then last year with the first hill being easy. Through the race I stayed no farther back then 4th place, knowing that I needed to stay in the front for the climbs. With the biggest climb we had that day I was 2nd over the top and down the other side, but the problem was that we were supposed to turn at the top and follow the ridge. (turns marked with arrows on road not enough man power for all turns) After me and 2 other riders descended down the other side we discovered there was no marks on the road and no riders behind us. We went 1 mile off course, so we turned around and climbed back to the top. With this being at mile 50 or so we 3 decided to do even pulls and try to catch back up to the lead group. We found out from a racers wife that we were about 10 min. back, not very promising for a 3 group chasing after a 20-25 rider group. We where pulling off 30 to 35 mph and at this phase I knew if we did catch back up that I would not be able to contend for the over all, but I had to try. With in 5-6 miles we caught up to the lead group. I was still feeling strong and as more climbs came and past the group dwindled to 12 riders. I was still feeling good, but with 3 climbs to go and about 6-8 miles left I hit the wall. My climbing speed dropped from 12 mph down to 5 mph. There was nothing for me to do but to try and find a rhythm. When I came across the finish line I got 12th place. O yes and since the course changes every year the true elevation was at 6473 feet. Out!
Chad finished in 4 hours and 6 minutes. Not too bad for going off course for a few miles.
Granogue is this weekend. They have a cool setup with food, music, and a raffle to benefit HERA Women's Cancer Foundation. Be sure to buy some tickets if you stop by. Our team will be competing in the Sport (9am) and Expert (11am) races. Here's the address:
2900 Montchanin Road, Wilmington, DE 19807
Also today I went to a pre-school class to teach the little rug rats about bikes. It was a blast. Turns out they knew just about everything already. Pics will be posted soon (I think).
White Clay Creek is looking for another MTB camp instructor for one week. It is the 4th week in June (23rd-27th). If you are interested call the Nature Center at (302) 368-6560 and ask for Angel. You can also email her at: Angel.Burns@state.de.us. It's an awesome time.

No comments: