Sunday, May 17, 2009

Conestoga Report

Three of us, Shawn, Chris, and I, made the journey to Conestoga for what I believe to be the hardest road race I have ever raced. Of the 40 starts only 15 finished. I knew going into it that it would be hard but I really wasn't ready for the hard pace on the first lap of the 50 mile race. I was dropped on the second climb (second climb that hit grades of 20% that is). I found some guys and we clawed our way back to the peleton. I tried to get a hold of my heart rate and settle into a groove. On the second lap, the same thing happened. Only this time I had just one other person to work with the try and climb back on. We failed.


I am happy to report that all Milkmen finished. Shawn, 14th in his first 3/4 race. Me, 12th. Chris, out sprinted a Squarda Coppi rider for 5th.


I raced today with my PowerTap and after downloading my numbers I can see why I was dropped. In the first 1 hour and 10 minutes of the race I had spent 76% of the time at or above my HR threshold. Yikes! Once I was dropped and fending for myself I settled into a rhythm (all-be-it a slower one but hey, whatever) and kept my numbers under control. 25 miles with the peleton, 1:10. 25 miles of solo, 1:20. Like I said, it was a tough course. I think climbing Mt. Penn 9 times is easier.


Next weekend, I get married. 5-31 is Iron Hill. I hope to be recovered by then. Haha!

No comments: